This is by far my most favorite hummus recipe – from the Fat Free Vegan website. I love this recipe because it is:
1) Easy to make.
2) Tastes great.
3) Makes the right amount to last for a week.
Of course, I have to Jennifer-ize every recipe, so below is my version, which is even easier than the first one. Keep in mind that I don’t like to use salt, so if you prefer add salt instead of the no-salt seasoning that I use… Several people have enjoyed my recipe and didn’t realize there wasn’t any salt.
- 2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans, 1 drained
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Fresh lemon juice of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon organic no-salt seasoning
Dump all ingredients into a high-powered blender and purée and until smooth. On my BlendTec, that is two blendings using button #5. Scoop into a resealable container and store in the refrigerator. Best if used within one week (if it lasts that long!).
Serve with fresh cut-up veggies like celery sticks, sweet small peppers, carrot sticks. Pita chips have a lot of refined carbs, but pita chips are yummy! Instead of pita chips, perhaps use tortilla chips. Everyone loves this recipe, so make extra if serving at a party (left overs are a bonus for the chef!).